Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Defining Moment

I have tried this once already today, but apparently the site was under some duress earlier.
Hopefully the previous attempt will not show up later, thus causing me to unintentionally reiterate.

I wanted to shed some light on my selection of title.

The phrase "mortal coil" first captured my attention in the form of lyrics to a song which I heard not long after my conversion. I thought it unusual, and usually it is the unusual that tends to stick. I later learned that it is a phrase that had been penned in Shakespeare's Hamlet:

‘For in that sleep of death what dreams may come / When we have shuffled off this mortal coil, / Must give us pause.’

In language:
Mortal coil is a poetic term that means the troubles of daily life and the strife and suffering of the world.

http://www.allwords.com/word-this%20mortal%20coil.html

http://www.wordcourt.com/archives.php?show=2004-11-03

So then, in light of the above, and in keeping with my spiritual leanings, the mortal coil seemed to be very closely related to the concept of the human condition, the physical body that houses the spirit man. Me...in the flesh...ick...not a very pretty picture! I choose rather to conquer this mortal coil, and be found walking in the Spirit :)

So be it.

Shalom on your home,
B

No comments: