Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Adoption Story begins

It was late 2013. I was browsing Facebook when I happened upon an article about adoption in Ohio, and how the laws which had permanently sealed adoption records from 1964 through 1996 were being challenged as unfair. I was immediately drawn in due to the fact that I myself was adopted in Columbus in 1966. I first learned of my adoption when I was 14. My mom (the one who adopted me, Mom 1, German mom) had traveled from New England to Florida to visit, and very nonchalantly informed me that I was not "hers". My dad was upset with her as he had no intention of ever telling me the truth. I was not sure quite how to handle this new information, as I was already dealing with so much at that time in my life. Over the years, I dreamed and wondered, I grieved and stuffed. In my early twenties, I did some minimal research, and submitted a petition for release of information with the Division of Vital Statistics in Columbus.  It would only be beneficial if a biological family member had also filed a petition. I never heard anything back.
I began to follow the progress of this new development, and the news came that on March 20, 2014, the law would be reversed, but files could not be accessed for a whole year to allow for any parties to redact their name from documents if they so chose. There should be no doubt that an intense excitement was simmering within, but that year may very well have been the longest year ev-er...
Finally! March 2015 rolled around. The Adoption Network in Cleveland organized a gathering in Columbus for all adoptees to be able to be together and file their paperwork together.  I wanted to be there, but could not work it out, so I ended up filing my papers via US Mail.
I was content with the waiting for about two weeks before I started becoming anxious. April 14 was the arrival of the big day.  I opened the PO box, and there it was...



1 comment:

Greeter said...

My heart would have stopped!